Skip to main content

Topsy turvy cake

I discovered this wonderful bakery in Centurion, South Africa. Schweetemporium offers hobby classes on baking and I joined the topsy turvy class in June. 

I had so much of fun as they thought us how to carve and frost the cake. Once the cakes were frosted we rolled out the fondant and covered the two cakes individually. We doweled the bottom tier and stacked the cake.

The bottom layer was vanilla with chocolate frosting, and the top layer was chocolate with vanilla frosting. 


The class was for around 3 hours and by the time we got to decorating there was only 45 minutes left. So I decided to make my cake simple. I knew I wanted to make grass and flowers at the beginning of the class. So in the 45 minutes I put up my grass strips and made a little bee and ladybug. :-)

Here are a few tips to follow when attending cake baking or decorating classes:

  1. Always take a pen and paper with you to take notes.
  2. Always ask whether you need to bring anything along. Some classes supply all tools however you may need a container to transport your creation.
  3. Research ideas to decorate your cake before you attend. This will allow you to be more focused in class.
  4. Do not be afraid to ask questions during these classes. Prepare questions in advance on areas you are struggling with.



When I got home I completed the cake with some mushrooms. I was amazed as to how wonderfully the little mushrooms finished the cake off.



With love!

Popular posts from this blog

Birthday cup cakes for Dad So my dad heard all about my yummy marble cup cakes I made for my nephew's birthday party. There was no way I was not going to make a fresh batch for Dad's birthday. My Dad is a man who loves doing everything and anything. I can't remember a time in my life when my Dad was not busy building, fixing or cleaning something or another around the house. From being the handy man I know him to be he has now turned into the most awesome cook. He does not give up until he gets it right. I guess a lot of him has been passed onto me. I admire him so very much...   Now for Mr Handy Man , who has every electric gadget and tool, I ventured out to my local baking shop, Bakers Bin, here in Centurion, South Africa ( bakersbin.co.za ) to find something that I could decorate the cupcakes with. There I found moulded sugar shapes where I chose the set which had the scissors, spanner, drill and saw. These were perfect for dad's cupcakes. I used the

White Chocolate Frosted Vanilla Yummies

White Chocolate frosted Vanilla Yummies I wanted to make some yummy fun vanilla cup cakes as a treat for my dad. So I followed the following recipe: 1 cup cake flour 1/2 cup sugar 1 teaspoon baking powder pinch of salt two eggs 1/2 cup milk 1/2 cup vegetable oil 1 teaspoon vanilla essence Blend all ingredeints together. It will be a runny mixture. Line cup cake tray with cups and fill each two thirds full. Bake for 15 - 17 minutes at 160 degrees celcius. Let it cool once done.   I then decided to coat them in white chocolate frosting I purchased at the baking store. The best thing about instant frosting is to add water to it and beat. 300 grams frosting requires 100ml of water. It becomes a lovely smooth consistency after around 5 minutes of beating. I added into a piping bag with a rose making nozel. I decorated with plastic icing flowers I had made previously.