Skip to main content

Macaroons

Yummy macaroons to go!

After having a lovely discussion with a work colleague about macaroons and where you can really find them in South Africa, I got home thinking its really something special to learn how to make. I turned the on the TV and to my surprise one of the baking programs on the food channel were showing how to make simple macaroons.  So I decided to give it a try.


Ingredients:

1 cup icing sugar
3/4 cup ground almond powder
2 egg whites room temperature (40g if you have a scale)
1/4 cup icing sugar
150ml of water
Gel food colouring

Method:
  • Preheat the oven to 150 degrees
  • Prepare oven tray with baking paper
  • Sift the icing sugar to add air into it. Thereafter add the almond powder and mix.
  • Place water on stove and add 1/4 cup icing sugar to it. Bring to a boil so the sugar blends into the water.
  • Beat the egg whites until it becomes foamy and add sugar water mixture. This allows the egg whites to get a shiny glaze sooner.
  • Continue beating the egg whites until they become stiff.
  • Add the stiff egg whites into the icing sugar and almond mixure and stir.
  • Add the food colouring you want at this stage.
  • Mix this combination in until the batter is ribbon runny.
Tip: According to the lady on the program the mixture should be stirred in with no more than 50 stirs. It took me around 30 or so stirs.
  • Thereafter place mixture into a piping bag and pipe 1cm high and 3.5 cm round circles onto baking tray. Keep them well spaced. 
  • Pick up and drop the tray about three times to release the air bubbles from the piped circles.
  • Let the circles stand for around 15 to 30 minutes to dry and form a skin.
  • Place in the oven and keep the door slighly open. You can also drop the heat of the oven down to 120 degrees.
  • Bake for 10 minutes until the macaroon is puffed up with distinguishable feet.
Tip: Feet on a macaroon is the part between the baking tray and the puffed section of the macaroon.

  • Let the macaroons cool completely on the baking tray.
  • Carefully peel off once cooled.
  • Pair the same size macaroon and add 1 teaspoon filling to one piece and close with another.
Fillings
You can use any of the following as filling:
Chocolate Ganache
Whipped fresh cream
Frosting
Jam

I used a combination of chocolate ganache and strawberry jam.



Popular posts from this blog

White Chocolate Frosted Vanilla Yummies

White Chocolate frosted Vanilla Yummies I wanted to make some yummy fun vanilla cup cakes as a treat for my dad. So I followed the following recipe: 1 cup cake flour 1/2 cup sugar 1 teaspoon baking powder pinch of salt two eggs 1/2 cup milk 1/2 cup vegetable oil 1 teaspoon vanilla essence Blend all ingredeints together. It will be a runny mixture. Line cup cake tray with cups and fill each two thirds full. Bake for 15 - 17 minutes at 160 degrees celcius. Let it cool once done.   I then decided to coat them in white chocolate frosting I purchased at the baking store. The best thing about instant frosting is to add water to it and beat. 300 grams frosting requires 100ml of water. It becomes a lovely smooth consistency after around 5 minutes of beating. I added into a piping bag with a rose making nozel. I decorated with plastic icing flowers I had made previously.
Birthday cup cakes for Dad So my dad heard all about my yummy marble cup cakes I made for my nephew's birthday party. There was no way I was not going to make a fresh batch for Dad's birthday. My Dad is a man who loves doing everything and anything. I can't remember a time in my life when my Dad was not busy building, fixing or cleaning something or another around the house. From being the handy man I know him to be he has now turned into the most awesome cook. He does not give up until he gets it right. I guess a lot of him has been passed onto me. I admire him so very much...   Now for Mr Handy Man , who has every electric gadget and tool, I ventured out to my local baking shop, Bakers Bin, here in Centurion, South Africa ( bakersbin.co.za ) to find something that I could decorate the cupcakes with. There I found moulded sugar shapes where I chose the set which had the scissors, spanner, drill and saw. These were perfect for dad's cupcakes. I used the

Bobby Buttons Cake

Bobby buttons cake This was the cake I decorated in 15 minutes in fresh cream for my dad. It was his 71st birthday. A tailor by trade, hence all the buttons.